EDUCATIONAL MEETINGS OF: PRODUCTION
Participant profile: Production Directors/Managers; Maintenance Directors/Managers
Analysed IT solutions:
- MES – Manufacturing Execution Systems
- SCADA – Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition
- CMMS – Computerised Maintenance Management Systems
- APS – Advanced Planning System
MES class systems combine planning tools with industrial automation systems. Their role is to monitor production processes by data collection from machines in real-time, and processing them for the purposes of business and managerial analytics in the form of generated reports. They contribute to the growth in efficiency of a production company by coordinating resource use (tools, employees, machines, materials) and eliminating any and all delays. The systems schedule material flow within the company from the production line, through warehouses, loading, and means of transport. Direct integration of MES class systems with other software within the company, allows the managerial staff to monitor progress of order implementation by analysing visualized processes. Solutions record events in real time and are capable of controlling current work of employees in the production hall, who are responsible for the work of particular devices and machines.
Main benefits from the usage of MES class systems:
- Optimization of production data recording time, time of data input and production preparation, as well as administrative works;
- OEE indicators growth;
- Reduction of manufacturing costs;
- Improvement in the quality of products and customer service;
- Reduction of reaction time to changes in customer needs;
- Elimination of delays and downtimes;
- Growth of production capacity.
The SCADA class systems provide a graphical representation of technological and production processes. They allow for permanent data presentation on terminals and monitors and archiving of information directly from production lines. SCADA systems are characterized by high communication possibilities with other industrial automation tools and systems and managerial analytics systems (such as e.g. regulators, recorders, PLCs, sensors, converters), as well as by the possibility of introducing continuous modification to the system. Regulation systems in technological processes can act independently of one another. Advanced reporting and alarm processes enable the identification of problems, breakdowns and downtimes. Visualization systems facilitate strategic decision-making and enable the prediction of their effects.
Main benefits from the usage of SCADA class systems:
- Facilitation of quick decision-making on the basis of a user-friendly tool in the form of a graphic visualization;
- Improvement in the quality of documentation created during the course of manufacturing;
- Installation cost optimization through savings in the equipment quantity;
- Automatic and continuous data archiving from automation industrial devices, production and technological processes.
CMMS class systems support maintenance operation services in the managing of the company's equipment, service documentation, and in planning machine and equipment maintenance. CMMS class solutions enable modelling of the facility structure of production halls and continuous supervision over its efficiency. The systems record the time of performing particular orders and failure occurrences. They also enable order management for materials and spare parts necessary for proper maintenance of machines.
Main benefits from the use of CMMS class systems:
- The possibility of fast response to machine and industrial equipment automation failures;
- Inventorying and archiving data on the company's assets;
- Collection of data on inspection and machine maintenance dates;
- Scheduling preventive works with regard to machines;
- Archiving data on machine history and problems occurring during its use.
APS class systems enable performing advanced and operational activities based on orders and available materials, which in turn allows for savings in the production environment model, which considers the actual limitations of resources without the need to invest in machinery. The systems, upon request, generate data needed on resources needed for manufacturing and warn about the lack thereof. Due to the ability to eliminate unnecessary warehouse surpluses, an enterprise can become more flexible and accommodate the constantly changing customer needs. The system is especially recommended to these enterprises, which produce goods for specific orders. The production course in these companies often requires rapid changes in production scheduling often impossible to predict. An APS class solution will also prove useful in complicated production requiring several complex components. APS class systems go beyond the scope of MRPII systems, because their production plan calculations are not sequential, but multi-directional and simultaneous. They generate data from individual production stages, which enables a quick reaction to any possible delays or failures.
Main benefits from the use of APS class systems:
- The possibility of daily and even hourly production scheduling;
- A possibility of manual simulation of production required resources limitations;
- Shortened production time;
- Quick return on the investment due to correct decision-making on the basis of actual data from the production hall;
- Production and distribution plan integration;
- The possibility of order forecasting and predicting customer demands.